• question-icon

Suggest treatment for herpes

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have several tiny cluster of bumps above my left knee that resembles a cold sore that I would get on my lip from time to time when I was getting sick. I have never had it anywhere else besides near my lip. I have soiled the same thing I usually use on my lip on the area and put a bandage on it and it's still there after 5 days.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible diagnosis: herpes/varicella infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you or trusting HCM

If the bumps are similar to cold sore it could either be caused by varicella zoster virus(shingles) or herpes simplex virus.

It would be very helpful if you could upload a picture of the rash so that I can confirm it is not something else like impetigo.

Viral infection like varicella/herpes can be confirmed by doing a smear and culture from the blister.
Treatment of shingles/herpes is with antiviral medications like acyclovir, best if started within 48 hours of onset of lesions.
You can also take Ibuprofen to reduce pain and inflammation.
You can also apply ice to reduce pain.Tetracaine cream (Viractin) can be applied topically to reduce pain.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal