• question-icon

Suggest treatment for heartburn and diarrhea

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have heart burn and slight diarrhea whenever I drink or eat anything, including water.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Indigestion most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through all your details and appreciate your concern.

Most likely, the problem you are having is called Dyspepsia.

Dyspepsia, in layman's language is known as indigestion. It is a term that describes discomfort or pain in the upper abdomen. However, it's not a disease in itself. Dyspepsia is a group of symptoms which often include bloating, nausea loose stool constipation and heartburn.

As the onset in your case is acute(few days history) Most likely cause of indigestion is due to either overeating or taking over oily or fatty food. Anxiety or intake of alcohol or aerated beverages can also cause the symptoms.

Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug (eg.Domperidone) for 3 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms of dyspepsia (you may need to obtain prescription for this from your local physician).

Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
Any over counter probiotic like VSL#3 should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms of indigestion and diarrhoea.

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist