Suggest treatment for headache, tinnitus and neck pain

Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have daily headaches, tinittus and degenerative disc in my neck. Fribromyalgia also so pain everywhere, flare ups etc. Swollen ankles and knees too. It's the headaches and tinittus I am most concerned with at this time as it is making me depressed with no where to turn. I also had a horse accident where I broke my radius and ulna, a toe, ribs and feel I suffered a concussion from whiplash but was not checked for head injury. I had cancer, squamous cell carcinoma of the anus, treated and cured...and Lung surgery because they thought the cancer had spread. I am a survivor of hep C through the harvoni treatment.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
I admire your positive outlook and congratulate you for the attitude

Now I guess you have headaches, tinnitus, swollen ankle and knees

There are lots of pathological causes responsible for all your problems

However, let me give my opinion here.

As per your clinical history is concerned, you had the history of injury in the past so please clarify in detail, was your headache and tinnitus started afterwards or was it there beforehand ?
If this thing started after your accident then I'd say it's most likely as [PCS]post concussion syndrome and it is a complex disorder in which various symptoms such as headaches, tinnitus and lasts for weeks and sometimes months or years after injury.

So your doctor may advice you for a CT scan or MRI to make a clear diagnosis. As you have not done them so far, it's needed, as management depends largely on the findings and also after a thorough clinical examination.

Secondly, you have mentioned about ankle and knees swelling, so as you have fibromyalgia so it's important to rule out rheumatoid arthritis by doing a blood test for Rheumatoid factor because it can also be another cause .

Don't worry, just discuss these with your doctor, but for this you need expert's guidance (pref. by a Neurologist).

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 37 minutes later
Thank you. I have an apt for my doctor March 23rd and now with you help, will ask for a neurologist to assess me. I have had many accidents through sports etc. I believe this is all caused from accidents to my head or neck. Thank you as now I feel more empowered to seek the correct guidance. Sincerely, XXXXXXX Arbour
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXXXXX

Thanks, do not worry at all, only the necessary clinical check up is required and you have to take just a few medications and probably no surgical intervention is required for this at all.

Wishing you all the best.

Thanks