• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bladder cancer

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi - I am an 80 year old male.

I have had plumbing ptobd for years. Bladder cancer 8 years ago and one recurrence.

I have had difficulty peeing and I had a TURP 5 years ago which helped.q

Recently I began getting up 4,5 times a night.

I had lung surgery in XXXXXXX and when the catheter came out I could no longer pee at all. I have been self cathing for months. I had another TURP which did not help.

My Uro says the bladder muscle is kaput. I am retaining 400-500 ml between caths. Actually it is not too disruptive, not painful and easier than I thought it would be.

But is there any other solution other than self-catching for the rest of my life, thank you, Jim
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Putting Supra Pubic Catheter in Bladder will improve quality of life .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted You had Cancer of Bladder which was resected twice endoscopically and also had undergone TURP twice but unable to pass urine most probably due to hypotonic bladder or Bladder Neck stenosis making you to drain the bladder by Self Intermittent Catheterization (SIC) 5 times daily .

Though it is not painful it invites infection

Hence I would suggest you to put Self Retaining catheter through supra Pubic Route directly into bladder so that it will effect continuous drainage of bladder .

The catheter can be retained for 3 months and changed by your self at home ,
This will help traumatizing urethra by self catheterization and prevent UTI .This will help to improve quality of your life .

This is the best option for daily catheterization .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist