Suggest treatment for hashimoto's thyroiditis

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 10 Sep 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr, I have hashimoto's and have been on eltroxin since november 2009 when my underactive thryoid was diagnosed. Then after a few years of the thyroid dose of medication been changed bi monthly almost I visited an endocrinologist who diagnosed hashimotos and he said that when my thyroid test results settled that this would make me feel better. this was two years ago and this has not happened. I have iBS and have had two instance of gastroentiritis this year this current bout started about a month or two ago after a urninary tract infection. The Dr said he would either send me to a stomach or thyroid specialist initially but now tells me to come back in 6 months. do you think that this should be the case? I have been sick since the end of XXXXXXX with the urinary tract infection/sore back/stomach infection and I am still struggling with an abnormally bloated stomach and related symptoms. I went to a different Dr in september 2009 at age 26 with severe tiredness which has possibly never got notably better for more than a week and then i was told that i was on a dose of eltroxin that was too high for me.any insight that you can give would be really appreciated. kind regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eltroxin could cause it

Detailed Answer:

In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, it is recommended that the TSH levels be kept under 3.0. Dose has to be titrated every 6 months once for this purpose. Over dosage of Eltroxin for longer duration can sometimes cause gastrointestinal problems in some people as it stimulates the intestines and can cause disturbance in its functioning.

I would like to know your recent TSH levels and the dose of the Eltroxin you are taking. Also do get a stool analysis to rule out any long term infections.

Though diagnosis of IBS may not be completely ignored, GI disturbance due to eltroxin and infection has to be ruled out first.

Waiting for your response,