Suggest treatment for gingivitis when suffering from tongue cancer

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi, thanks for your help. I developed a good sized cancre on the back of my tongue six days ago and it was really hurting. so I got some "Kanka" (benzocaine) from the drug store and have been using it a lot more than they recommend. (4x daily) It's helped, but now my teeth and gums are sore, red and hurt when I brush. Looks like gingevitus. What are my next steps? Thanks. (Getting over chemo too)

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vincent's

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Are you on Chemotherapy?

The causes of such problems are :
The integrity ( strength) of the mucosa of the oral cavity is reduced due to many factors and becomes easily susceptible to infections from the commensals ( meaning the normal bacterial flora ) due to lowered resistance. This may be the reason for the cancre and the gingivitis.

I think, you need a course of antibiotics and Metronidazole along with Therapeutic dosages of Vitamin A and D to be followed by anti=oxidants ( multivitamins).

Consult an ENT who would help you for the diagnosis and further management and write you medicines which are prescription based.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T