Suggest treatment for geographic tongue

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a sore throat over a month ago. I gargled it with Listerine, after which my tongue had a black line on it. I’ve decided to improve it, and gargled peroxide mixed with water for three days (three time a day). My tongue turned white and my mouth dry. I went to the doctor and prescribed a fungal infection medication for five days. It didn’t go away. The doctor said that the tongue is not very white but scrapable and prescribed a bacterial infection medication. It still didn’t go away. I have a tingling sensation on my tongue and very sour (lemony) taste, especially at night and after eating. Very high anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Geographic tongue

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your tongue. You have seen your medical provider several times and treated for a fungal infection and with an antibiotic but the tongue changes have not resolved. From your history I would conclude that you probably have a geographic tongue. This is a normal variant and is not something that can be treated or should be treated. Geographic tongue is where the tongue has various colors and pigment changes for unknown reason. This is normal. If you could submit an image of your tongue I would be better able to diagnose your problem.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
I've uploaded the picture. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal appearing tongue

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for uploading a picture of your tongue.

I don't see anything wrong with your tongue. The white coloration is normal and not fungal infection. The burning citrus lemony taste is probably a side effect from the antibiotics and antifungal you recently took.

I would recommend at this time to go on about your daily living without changing anything. The taste should go away with time.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any further medical questions or concerns