Suggest treatment for gastroparesis

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have been throwing up bile constantly multiple times a day and night for the past couple weeks. I have gastroparesis. My doctor prescribed cholestyramine for the bile reflux but I'm having trouble taking this. Should i continue with it? Is it worth it?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Cholestyramine is a medicine which binds bile in the digestive tract. It works in the small intestine and large intestine. It does not cause lowered bile secretion so using it in case of gastroparesis is pointless.
If you have tried also Metoclopramide and Erythromycin, and it do not help you, surgery might be the best solution for you. Please consult general surgeon and discuss it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
The cholestyramine was prescribed simply to help with the problem of me throwing up bile so much not for my gastropresis. I just mentioned that as background. I started throwing up bile all the time and having symptoms of acid/bile reflux over the past couple weeks and have been really struggling. So my dr told me to start taking cholestyramine, however the past two days ive pretty much thrown it up. I was just wondering if its worth it to continue trying it. If it will really help with my bile reflux. Because that is my biggest problem right now. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Please try to imagine that when you take cholestyramine, it start work in the intestines. So the bile which is secreted to the duodenum and due to reflux gets to the stomach and esophagus is in exactly the same amount.
Cholestyramine binds bile with the stool. So the bile gets out with the stool. In normal condition bile is absorbed from the intestine to the bloodstream so only the small part of it gets out.
It is impossible for cholestyramine to help with bile reflux.
But Metoclopramide can really help.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Sorry to keep asking. But i was having really bad side effects from metoclopramide. Would an anti emetic like zofran be any help? I mean I'm at a loss right now .
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Zofran might help. But it is most effective in case of chemo vomiting. Some types of vomiting can be resistant to it.
You may try Tiethylperasine.