Suggest treatment for gastritis esophagitis

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi
I am a 41 year old male and have recently been experiencing heaviness in chest and throat and breathlessness..I had all respiritory tests come back clear and I had a endoscopy and they found gastritis esophagitis and moderate reflux.
I have increased my lansoprazole to 30mg twice a day for the last 2 weeks and I eat very well but im still suffering with this constant.
My question is…..Can this get better in time and if so how long does this take roughly

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Since you have gastritis , esophagitis and reflux, only taking Lansoprazole won't help you.
I would advise you following:
1. Ask your doctor for h.pylori infection test, if it is positive you should be given treatment for h.pylori infection as it prevents healing.

2. You need to add domperidone to prevent reflux. You can take a combination of Lansoprazole/ Pantoprazole and Domperidone.

3. Take soft, bland diet.

4. Take frequent light meals instead of 3 major meals.

5. Always walk after you take your meal.

6. If you take alcohol and smoke, you should refrain yourself from them.

If h.pylori infection is not there, i personally advise 2 months of treatment with the combination i have mentioned along with life style changes that i have enlisted.
My patients gets very good improvement in 2 months.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 11 minutes later
Hi Thanks for reply
I have had tests for pylori and was clear
I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago and the endoscopy showed there is a bit of bile in my stomach which may/may not be causing the reflux

My oesophagus is really heavy and i was just wondering if the oesophagus and the throat can heal after all this trauma

I am a fit person and not over weight and drink once a week which used to be a bindge but have now stopped bingeing because of this...

also my diet is great

Im just so anxious i will never get better which is probably making it worse
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
If your h.pylori test was negative. Nothing to worry. You would definitely get better.
Start with combination I have mentioned and follow other life style modifications I have mentioned. You would definitely start feeling improvement in a few days.
Start the medicines and revert back to me after 15 days again with your status.
I would review that and would suggest further course of action.
If you have any further query please ask me else close the discussion and rate it.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 34 minutes later
Hi
May i ask what domperidone is used for because i thought it was a anti sickness drug and if its used for reflux then ill ask doc for it
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Domperidone is a drug with multiple actions and one of its important action is prevention of reflux.
We also use it as anti emetic.
It has wonderful role in preventing reflux.
You can read on Wikipedia and also discuss with your doctor.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 hours later
Hi
Sorry to bother you again but last night i couldnt sleep as when i layed down i got breathless and a lump in my throat and slight numbness. I think this is silent LPR

i did eat 30 mins before i went a bed and will now wait at least 2-3 hours next time

Please tell me if my LOS can strengthen in time or will i have this reflux forever. I dont get any heart burn with this just my throat goes funny and i cant breathe

CAN THIS GET BETTER
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I am always here for you.
See lax esophageal sphincter never gets back to normal status.
But with the medications and lifestyle changes you would definitely get relief.
I would strongly recommend Domperidone in your case.
Discuss with your doctor soon.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 25 minutes later
Would they have not picked up on the endoscopy that my XXXXXXX was weak ?
Also if it is weak is there no surgery or anything. Why as this happened when my diet is good and im fit
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
You are unnecessarily diagnosing yourself for Lax spincter. If that was not evident on endoscopy its not there. Even if it is its not that much which would require surgery
Start on Domperidone and see the difference.
Stop worrying because worrying increases acidity and reflux
Review with me after 15 days of starting on Domperidone and adopting life style changes.
I am very hopeful that you would be coming with query containing description of relief :-)
Stay Healthy.