Owl Image

Suggest treatment for gas and bloating

Owl Image
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Question
I have stomach pressure with gas and bloating since I completed a zpack for sinusitis. I have a hx of GERD with a Nissin 12 yrs ago and take protonix 40mg bid. I had my gallballder removed 1 yr ago and have been great since now. What could be the issue and what can I try. I also had an episode of gastritis in March with H-pylori infection.
I have been waiting for an answer with no one responding.
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dysbacteriosis due to Zpack use...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in!

You are saying to be suffering of gas and bloating after completed Zpack for sinusitis.

Please bare in mind that Zpack is the trade name for the generic Azithromycin, which is an antibiotic. Usually, the use of antibiotics is associated with broken balance of intestinal flora (dysbacteriosis), which is clinically shown by intestinal problems.

In your case, such problems are shown with stomach pressure with gas and bloating, which is indicative for dysbacteriosis caused by Zpack.

I advise to:
- take protonix 40 mg for 1 month (as gastritis might also be aggravated due to antibiotic use)
- take OTC probiotics to optimize intestinal flora
- take simethicone for bloating
- increase water intake
- avoid chilly/oily foods

If no improvement within a week, should consult with GI specialist for further evaluation!
Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Klerida