Suggest treatment for fungal infection of groin region

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
HI, I am having sweet itching problem/fungal infection in between leg connects due to friction and sweat. due to this, skin turned blackish. Please suggest medicine/cream for remedy. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection of groin region , take treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
I have seen the attached picture .
You seem to have developed a fungal infection of the groin region called tinea infection.
Steroid creams like beclomethasone have to be completely avoided over this infection.
You need to apply a topical antifungal cream like canestan cream or candid cream over the affected areas twice a day . Apply it continously for atleast two weeks even if the infection seems to heal earlier. Taking complete treatment course is very essential to avoid recurrence.
\
You might need to take some oral antifungals also along like fluconazole . This tablet is usually given in dose of 150 mg once a week for two weeks. This is not available over the counter. Your local doctor can give you a prescription.

Avoid application of any other oil or cream over the area.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for fungal infection of groin region 14 hours later

Thanks for detailed quick response & advice.

will follow suggested treatment.

For Oral Treatment, i checked drug information over internet and found that there may be possibility of side effects like Diarrhea, Nausea.

As per my medical history, i usually faced problems like mouth ulcers, Acidity and diarrhea sometimes while taking tablets which did not suites my body.

Please suggest should i take Forcan 150mg by Cipla or go with some other tablet?

Also, after 2 weeks.. if skin color remains unchanged(blackish), can you please provide any other cream for recovering that concern.

Thanks n Regards,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antifungal necessary for management

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

For fungal infections of the groin region, fluconazole is the best possible treatment available . It has to be taken only once a week. In few people, it might cause nausea or diarrhea but such side effects only last for few hours only and are seen only in some people.
To prevent such side effects , you can take tablet domstal dt one hour before taking fluconazole each time.
At present, since you have an active infection, so you need to apply the antifungal cream for two weeks .
After two weeks, once the infection heals up completely , then you can start application of a lightening agent like kojivit cream over the dark areas twice a day. This will take care of the skin pigmentation .

Dr Geetika Paul