Suggest treatment for fluctuating sugar levels

Dr. Phanindra Dulipala

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Hello. I am 37 yrs of age. I have been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic for last 8 years. I am on gemer 2 (morning) and cetaphin 500 (night) tablets. However my sugar in the morning or after breakfast fluctuates. I have been feeling dizzy last several weeks and hence monitored my sugar for 1 week. The before breakfast is in the range of 138-180 and after in the range of 138-253. Please advice ... I am also experiencing radiating jaw pain, and light headed XXXXXXX (dizziness) for several weeks now ...
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may need slight increase in dosage.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Sir, In long standing diabetes, these symptoms are common. The sugar levels you have given are slightly fluctuating and slightly higher.

The first step you need to do is get HbA1c test done, If this is higher to normal, which shows that average blood sugar level is not under control. You need slight increase in dosage or addition.

Coming to jaw pain, Pregabilin plus Methyl cobalamin drugs could help you.
You can discuss these changes with your treating doctor.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 6 hours later
Thanks. I will get a hba1c done and show that to my doc. Should I be taking vitamin supplements regularly, like u suggested (vit b12)
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin supplementation is advised

Detailed Answer:
Hi sir, welcome back.

Iron plus Vit. B supplementation would help you better. Take them one per day after food. Green leafy vegetables also are advised for you.

Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari