Suggest treatment for fever in a child
My One Year Old daughter woke up to fever
I gave her 1.2 ml of crocin drops..fever came down..then it went again to 99..so after 4hrs gave the same dose..
Last time when she had a high fever of 104 a month ago
Doctor suggested us to use Meftal-P syrup
Should i use again if the fever comes back..or do you suggested any other medicine
Her weight is close to 9Kgs and age is 13 Month Completed
Now after giving her meftal..her temp when is recorded under her arm pit is 98...so should it mean her temp is 99 actually?
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic. Your kid seems to be having a viral illness. I will first answer your questions before allying your fears about fever and viral illness.
1. Meftal-P is an NSAID and contains Mefenamic acid, which is not recommended in children. It may cause drug induced gastritis and also renal problems on the long run. Please stop Meftal-P and never use it hereafter in children.
2. Fever measure at arm pit is final for deciding to treat or not. you need not add 1 to it. It was an old concept which is out of date now.
Fever of few hours without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active.
You can treat fever with Paracetamol at 15mg/kg/dose every 4-6th hourly if fever is > 100F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever as usually most combination medicines combine Paracetamol with NSAIDs and is not advisable.
As you have mentioned weight I will suggest you a formulation.
For fever- you can use-
Syrup P-125 (125mg/5ml) 5ml every 4-6th hourly, that too only if temperature is more than 100F.
Apart from this give her plenty of oral fluids.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
She never takes ORS or even coconut water..She only drinks lots of water
She has a running nose yesterday..So we gave her citizine syrup
I will only give P125 only when the temp is 100 right??
You are right
Hi... You are 100% right in giving her plenty of water. Its one way body temperature comes out as urine.
For running nose you can give her Syrup Xyzal (2.5mg/5ml) 2.5ml twice a day for 3 days
For nose block you can give her Nasoclear nasal drops 1 drop in each nostril every 4-6th hourly (if there is nose block).
You should give P-125 only if temperature is > 100F checked in the axilla (armpit). Do not add 1 to the recorded temperature.
I wish you kid a speedy recovery. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link. Please find the link below.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Child with fever and skin rashes treatment
- Suggest treatment for enteric fever
- Suggest treatment for typhoid fever
- Child with diarrhea and vomiting fever treatment
- Suggest treatments for scarlet fever or glandular fever
- Suggest treatment for high fever
- What is the treatment for fever in a child
- What treatment is suggested for fever
- Child having high fever suggest the treatment
- Typhoid fever treatment for child