Suggest treatment for fever, cough and cold

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 6 Apr 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 2.5 years old. 2 weeks ago she had fever and the pediatrician prescribed broncholin and flu kit with adol. The fever is gone last week but the cough stayed very intermittent. ..namely middle of the night and early morning....also sometimes when she is running. ..Other than that no cough. Could it be allergy and would fenistil work? Thx
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I don't think fenistil is good choice

Detailed Answer:
Hello

The most common cause of fever,cough and cold in this age is due to viral infection.As your child's fever and cough improved without antibiotic,it was also a viral infection.Any viral infection may be associated with allergy or vice versa.

In many cases it has been seen that even after clearance of virus and when acute episode is subsided,cough may persist. It may persist up to two to three may be a month.

Persistence of cough after viral infection can be explained by greater sensitivity of cough receptor to allergens in throat for some duration.

An antiallergic like levocetrizine and chlorpheniramine(both are antihistaminic) is a better choice than festinil(dimetindine/antihistaminic) for respiratory complaints in children.
Festinil works better in severe skin allergy.
Both of the above mentioned medicine are prescription drugs,please get it prescribed by your physician.

I would be glad to answer if you have any query.