Suggest treatment for fatty liver

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Dear Dr, i had an ultrasound of my abdomen today seaching for kidney stones, none found, but I was told I had a fatty liver what happens now for me ?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Check weight, cholesterol, liver function tests, c

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

The commonest cause of accumulation of fat in the liver is alcohol. In persons with fatty liver, and who do not consume alcohol, this is non alcoholic fatty liver.

There are common risk factors for non alcoholic liver disease that deserve to be checked and controlled. Overweight is a serious risk factor. In case you are, exercise, diet and discussing with a dietician on healthy weight loss techniques would be of great interest.

It is of interest to get a lipid profile done in order to ascertain the amount of cholesterol in the body. Decreasing saturated fat intake and cholesterol lowering drugs could be an option in case the blood cholesterol reveals increased.

I would suggest you get liver function tests, called liver transaminases. These are markers that would give an indication if the liver is actively being touched or not. ASAT and ALAT are the common enzymes tested for. Testing for Hepatis A, B and C virus are important. This is so because they would alter the intensity of any eventual follow up or monitoring of this condition.

It might be of interest to quantify the amount of fat into mild, moderate of severe fatty liver. Mild fatty liver, especially in patients who present with no signs nor symptoms is generally seen in some persons as they approach 50.

I do not think there is any need to panic at this point in time. My humble suggestion is stopping alcohol, in case you do. Reducing body weight will of great good. Testing for body cholesterol and appropriately controlling its levels. Testing for liver function with ASAT and ALAT measurements, coupled with an appropriate quantification of the degree of fatty liver infiltration would be of great interest.

You might have to book an appointment with a nearby hepato/gastroenterologist for more specialized care.

Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. No panic, but feel free asking further questions in case of need.

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj