Suggest treatment for fatigue, loss of appetite and diarrhea

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I am a 41 year old Caucasian female. Currently my symptoms are:

Sharp RUQ pain s/p cholecystectomy

Gradual weight loss of 25 pounds

Increased thirst

Fatigue

Loss of appetite

Hair loss

Diarrhoea
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give detailed and additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for query.
To recapitulate: Female/ 41 - sharp RUQ pain - Cholecystectomy - Gradual weight loss of 25 pounds - Increased thirst - Fatigue - Loss of appetite - Hair loss - Diarrhea - Also noted the medical history, current medications and known allergies ...
Please give additional detailed information for me to assist you better:
- When was Cholecystectomy done?
- Did the pain start since Cholecystectomy or after a gap?
- Weight loss over how much time?
- Any relation of pain to diarrhea?
- Diarrhea: How many times in a day, color, consistency, any mucus, blood?
- What are the investigations done? Please post all the positive reports.

Your detailed history will help me to assist you better.
Awaiting.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 32 minutes later
Cholecystectomy 2012
Weight loss and pain began 3 months ago
Diarrhea at least 2 times a day. Normal color. No blood or mucous
No relation of pain to diarrhea
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback.
Since Cholecystectomy was done long ago, it does not look to be related to the present problem which is present for 3 months.
Weight loss, pain in RUQ and diarrhea along with hair loss. loss of appetite and fatigue needs a proper clinical evaluation, examination and further investigations:
I would advise you the following:
Tests of blood, urine and stool.
Preliminary Ultrasound of abdomen and Contrast enhanced CT scan of the abdomen to find out the cause.
Upper GI Endoscopy and Colonoscopy as may be needed.

These are very important as the symptoms complex indicate that there may be a serious problem that has not been found for the last three months.
Since the medical science is evidence based, it is better to get proper evaluation to find the causative diagnosis at the earliest so that a proper plan of treatment can be instituted asap.

I hope this answer helps you to get a proper diagnosis and a plan of management.
Also needed is to get a review of the medical problems that you are already under treatment and can be a differential diagnosis if all the investigations are within normal limits, but it is important to get the investigations done.

Please give feedback about the reports and clinical evaluation.