Suggest treatment for erectile dysfunction

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: I am experiencing erectile dysfunction, I am only able to achieve halve erection currently but still able to have an orgasms. I am a 63 yrs old white male and have used Viagra 100mg in the past but no longer seems to work for me. I am in relative good health and not take any medications of any kind.

Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
tadalafil and tetrafol plus

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Treatment of erectile dysfunction:
5- PDE inhibitor group of medicines like sildenafil or tadalafil are used. One of them should be used 2 hours prior to sex. They cause headache, stuffy nose nausea and gastric discomfort like common side effects. Proper physical check-up of cardiac system should be done by a doctor before starting the same. These are prescription medicines and you need to consult doctor/psychiatrist/sexologist for the prescription.
You have already tried sildenafil (viagra) so tadalafil is good option for you.

You can use another medicine cum vitamin supplement containing pyridoxal-5-phosphate, mecobalamin and l-methylfolate (trade name tetrafol plus) is very helpful in my patients. It has shown improvement in 50-60% patients of mine with ED. You should take it after meal twice a day. If you feel some improvement in 15 days you should continue for at least 1 month. You may get this medicine over the counter as it is vitamin product. You need to ask your pharmacist/chemist to find out supplement with mentioned contents.

Serum testosterone level should be checked once. If it is low, supplement can be given.

Diabetes should be ruled out by blood sugar check up and cardiac and prostate check up should also be done if not done yet as they are important factors for ED at age of 63.

There are some natural lifestyle measures which help to improve blood flow to penis and overall sexual performance.

- The most important factor is healthy heart. Blood is pumped in to body by heart. So regular exercise and avoidance of fatty fast food are important measures to prevent heart disease. Regular walking, swimming or running overall improves blood flow to whole body circulation including penis and keep the mind fresh.

- Good healthy food is also an important aspect. Bananas, Garlic, dry fruits(they contains vitamins), eggs, cow milk, cow butter are good food which may help in erectile dysfunction.

If I were your treating doctor I would like to start tadalafil and tetrafol plus after completing all investigations.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.