Suggest treatment for episodes of absence seizures

Posted on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have what I call concious blackouts I think some people call them blank outs. I have no idea this happens. Someone has to tell me. No pre idea no post idea someone has to tell me. I do not respond to anyone when this happens. Might last up to 5 minutes. Sometimes I might just say hum hum hum or nothing
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Absence seizure , likely, should be looked for

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on the description you gave, absence seizure is a possibility. It can result in staring spells , the way you described. Basic metabolic panel including Liver function tests, renal function tests and electrolytes should be checked. Blood counts, EKG, viral hepatitis profile and an ultrasound abdomen should also be done. If no abnormality is found then an EEG (ElectroEncephaloGram) should be done to look for any abnormal electrical activity. Treatment would depend upon the cause.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=68107

Dr. M.S. Khalil
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 hours later
I have had EEG - BRAIN MRI WITH AND WITHOUT XXXXXXX IS STRESS A POSSIBILITY. ARE THERE OTHER SYMPTOMS OF THE OR FOR THE OTHER TEST YOU ARE SPEAKING OF? I feel GREAT, Any other symptoms I should be aware of. I do not stop and have starring spells usually. One night Imhad a pan full of dirty silverware and asked my husband I'd he wanted me to heat up for supper!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

EEG is the diagnostic test w.r.t absence seizure. MRI with and without contrast was done to look for any space occupying lesion e.g any focus that could precipitate inappropriate electrical discharge.

Yes, metabolic panel should be done to look for a possible derangement.

If all the investigations are normal and fail to pinpoint an organic cause for these symptoms the a psychiatric evaluation is suggested.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil