Suggest treatment for enlarged prostate and inflammations

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i have been diagnosed with BPH. Since 2010 my PSA has also risen as well. In 2013, my PSA was 3.5 and then suddenly increased to 5.2. After 2 weeks of ciprofloxin and ibuprofen it went down to 4.0. However i was so freaked out I went and got an 3T mpMRI scan at a specialist in NYC which showed an enlarged prostate and inflammation but no Pc. The Prostate was measured to be very large (80cc). My PSA levels remained steady at 4.0 until this year and BPH managed by 5mg of cialis when it increased to 6.3 and didn't change after cipro/ibuprophen. The hospital that my Urologist is associated with now has a 3T MRI but I cannot get scanned till mid-June. I can go out of network and get the scan in a week but have to pay. I'm concerned that waiting is not a good thing and am stressed out about it, worrying I have Pc and that the delay will hurt me.
Besides the terrible anxiety I have, Do you think the wait is dangerous from a Pc perspective?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To do Prostate Biopsy will be proper approach

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been diagnosed to have Enlarged Prostate (80cc) and your recent PSA has raised to 6.3 .

It is standard world wide accepted rule that raised PSA above 4 after the age of 50 years should be suspected to be due to Cancer of Prostate unless ruled out otherwise by doing a Ultrasound Guided multicore Prostate Biopsy.

MRI is helpful to know whether cancer is localized to prostate or has invaded beyond capsule of the prostate.

I would suggest to get the prostate biopsy done first and if needed to go for MRI.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist