Suggest treatment for ear infection and ringing in ears

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in General Health
Question: I'm a 45 yr old male, never had ear problems, had a bad ear infection after a flight, it finally started clearing up after 2 rounds of antibiotics, 9 days of steroids and a tube placed in ear. All the draining is done, but i still have trouble hearing and there is a constant ringing. I had hearing tests and nerves all seem fine, hearing loss is in ear not nerve area, (maybe because of tube) I went the tube out and ,my body to heal, the doc is making me wait. I hear myself talking and everything sounds strange, My question is, Do you think it will get better once tube is removed???? thank you. Also ringing, I understand that takes time but should it go away?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Only time will tell

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your ear from a flight. You mention that you had to have tubes placed in your ear because of the fluid that built up behind the ear. Those tubes are designed to fall out by themselves after a time. Once the tube falls out the ear drum will continue to heal and your hearing will improve. Unfortunately this is the only way to get your ear back to normal. Removal of the tube by the surgeon could actually cause more damage. As he pulls the tube out he could tear the ear drum even more. So be patient and the ear will heal

In summary
1.The Tube will eventually fall out naturally
2. Your current hearing difficulties are a directly related to the tube and reduce vibration of the ear drum
3. Once tube falls out the ear drum will completely heal
4. Taking the tube out may cause additional damage to the ear drum

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care concerns or questions. You may contact me again if you have any additional questions or comments
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj