Suggest treatment for ear drum infection with peforation

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I went for an MRI recently because of constant left ear tinnitus with mild pain at times for 6 months. At times fluid comes out like a watery substance. I also have pain at times left side of head and a knot just below my skull towards the left side of neck, sometimes it hurts more than others. I use the heating pad at times and it helps. No fever. I have had sinus issues for years that I treat with OTC products when I get sinus headaches. I have also had ACDF c-5 and c-6. The ringing is only on left side. My MRI said Bilateral Mastoid Effusion. It did not say mastoiditis, is there a difference?. My ENT is on vacation and the partner said the MRI was normal??? This does not feel normal to me. I also feel that swallowing is not always easy.
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
(asom) ear drum infection with peforation

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having sinus infection with tinnitus. Based on your clinical details, it appears to be ear drum perforation with active infection (ear discharge) with mastoid effusion secondary to chronic sinusitis.

Answers and solutions to your queries.

1. You need to be evaluated at an ENT doctor's office. Yes, this isn't normal. Visit the ENT when he/she is back from a vacation or consult another one. A CT scan of para nasal sinuses is necessary (chronic sinusitis).

2. Keep ears dry and clean. Avoid instilling water into the ear (plug them with dry cotton) to prevent reinfection, stop consuming freezer products (curd/ice cream).

3. As such, MRI brain required to see brain complications (meningitis, brain abscess) secondary to ear drum infection. I hope the current MRI scan has evaluated / ruled out brain complications.

4. Mastoid effusion is collection of fluid/pus secondary to infection. It requires antibiotics, if necessary mastoid operation (Mastoditis is a acute inflammation of mastoid air cells).

5. In my opinion, you require oral and aural antibiotics to control active infection. Kindly go ahead.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 4 days later
The MRI showed no brain complications. In your opinion will the tinnitus go away after the infection is cleared?

Thank you for your assessment.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again,

Thanks for considering my answer and for your follow up.

Yes. Tinnitus, can be managed in your case, with antibiotics for infection (mastoid and sinus) and correction of ear drum perforation (surgery).

Hope, I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj