Suggest treatment for dry skin while suffering from rosacea

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 74 y/o woman and have recently been dx with Rosacea. I have been tx this with Metronidazole cream 0.75%. The condition has ameliorated for the most part, but now I am left with dry, scaly patches in those areas tx. as above. I also have Triamcinolone cream 0.1%. Do I use that now alone or in conjunction with the tx. above?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use cortisone rather than triamcinolone

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am Dr.Kakkar (Dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

Triamcinolone acetonide is a moderately potent steroid cream. It should not be used on rosacea as it might exacerbate rosacea.

You may use a mild steroid cream e.g Cortisone cream, twice daily for a week for the patches which are most likely due to excessive dryness due to Metronidazole cream. You can discontinue Metronidazole for a week.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee