Suggest treatment for dog scratch

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello...9 years ago I got a scratch from Milk man dog. I was wearing trousers and it was a light scratch. I immediately cleaned it with Soap and water. The doctor at that time gave me tetanus only. The Dog lived for 5 more years. Now i have started tacking Verorab as preventive measure. Do I need to take any more medications. The doctor here is saying I will be safe as i have started the vaccination...
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Rabies vaccine not required now.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

The dog did not any symptoms of rabies or did not die due to any unknown reasons.
Thus, the possibility of dog being rabid or infected with rabies is ruled out.
The tetanus that you took after dog bite was sufficient.
retrospectively, there was no need of anti-rabies vaccination then and now too.
There is no indication for taking anti-rabies vaccination now.
Anti-rabies vaccination has no role in prevention of rabies.
So, there is no requirement of anti-rabies vaccination or any other treatment.

If you have more queries I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 19 hours later
Thank you very much for clearing my doubt. But i have already started the course.
Is there any side effect of taking the vaccine?
1. shall I complete the course?
2. can i eat non-veg during the vaccination period?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaccine not required, non-veg food can be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

You can discontinue the vaccination since there is no point in taking the vaccination.
In case you get an animal bite in future you will have to take the course of rabies vaccine if animal is un-vaccinated or suspicious of being rabid even if you complete the course.
So, practically there is no use.

Secondarily, there is no contraindication to take non-vegetarian food even when vaccination is continued.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj