Suggest treatment for diarrhea

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in General Health
Question: I have sudden uncontrollable diarrhea. It happens most of the time shortly after I eat but not all the time. What can be the cause of this and what medications can be prescribed to stop this?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. You have diarrhea. It can be due to a viral cause. Irrespective of treatment such an episode usually lasts for 3-5 days. In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Take plenty of ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost fluids and salts.
* Your diarrhea is leading to depletion of electrolytes and is thereby affecting the muscle function, thus leading to various types of aches. Take juicy fruits like citrus fruits. They contain plenty of potassium which should help in proper functioning of the muscles and in reduction of the cramps.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

There is a phenomenon called gastrocolic reflex that may make us pass stool after we take food. As such, this is normal. However, this could be responsible for your urge to pass stool after taking food.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.