question-icon

Suggest treatment for diarrhea in an infant

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: hello doctor
My son is 9 months old, he is having loose motions from last friday. We consulted a pediatrician - who suggested us Nutrolin B twice a day and Zinc Dry Powder Suspension once a day. He passed motions around 7 to 8 times from Friday to Sunday. Today it is 5 times till now. But his last 3 stools are dark green in color, which is my worry.

Can you please suggest on this or shall I visit the pediatrician immediately.

Sharmistha

Answered by Dr. Archana Verma (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand your concerns but do not worry. Infants can have green poops during an episode of diarrhea due to short transit time in gut. I would recommend you to continue with zinc supplement and neutrolin B supplement as suggested by your pediatrician. Ensure good hydration by regular feeds and fluids. Also, get your son's stool routine examination done to rule out associated bacterial infection. You may upload the report for my reference.

Hopefully it will be of help.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma (16 minutes later)
Hi Doctor,

Thanks doctor,

Just to understand how should I check my sons stool routine examination done. Do I need to observe for how many times or days regarding the color or like lab test report ?

Regards.
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma (11 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Lab test-stool routine and microscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hi
It's a lab test. You will get the report within a day which you may upload for my reference.
Follow up: Dr. Archana Verma (1 hour later)
Hi doctor,

His stool color is back to yellow now. So shall i still need to go for test?
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
No need if he is improving

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good to hear about his improving health. There is no need for any test if the color has improved.
Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician