Suggest treatment for diarrhea followed by constipation

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Constipation
Question: Best solution for constipation following a bout of diarrhea. Last incident was one week ago.Have been on solid foods for 3 days. No bm for week. Baking soda?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
How long these symptoms have been present.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Before suggesting anything I would like to know whether you have this problem of diarrhea alternating with constipation for long period?
If yes then what is the duration of these symptoms?

Thanks
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
No. Just happened after two rounds of antibiotics for a sinus infection.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plenty of water, fiber and stool softners

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

The diarrhea could be due to antibiotic use.
Broad spectrum antibiotics interfere with the normal intestinal flora and thus lead to diarrhea.
However, this kind of diarrhea s short lived and is corrected once the antibiotic is discontinued.
Regarding your problem of constipation, take plenty of water and fiber.
See if there is any relief.
If this does not work, consult your primary health provider for prescription of fiber containing medication (husk for example) and a stool softner.
Plenty of water and fiber rich diet should be taken to avoid constipation.
Refined food items should be avoided.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 24 minutes later
Is there anything over the counter that works (stool softener or laxative)? Can yo take fiber in a capsule form until appetite returns?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fiber is available in powder form.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Fiber is usually available in powder form, capsule form preparations are not available.
Stool softeners like senokot or lactulose suspension must be available over the counter at your place.

Increasing the fiber content in your diet will also help.
Fiber rich foods are raw vegetables and fruits and whole cereals like whole wheat.
However, commercially available fiber will be instantly effective and food items will take a little longer.
Thus, you can take fiber for few days and add fiber in your diet on long term basis.
Drinking plenty of water will also be helpful.

Stool softener may be used in case the above mentioned measure does not work.
So, start off with fiber and water.
Taking fiber will improve the constipation within short while (i.e. fiber taken in night will relieve constipation in the morning).

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal