Suggest treatment for diarrhea and burning sensation in the esophagus

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have diarrhea and burning in my esophagus. I got a mild case of diarrhea last Wednesday. Thursday, I went to the doctor and was prescribed a probiotic and told to eat mild foods, drink fluids and no caffeine. I have been eating chicken broth soups, yogurt, crackers and some bananas. I did this Thursday, Friday and Saturday. During this time I had no diarrhea, vomiting, etc. Sunday evening I ate a sandwich and a cola. Early this morning I again had diarrhea, along with a burning sensation in my throat (esophagus)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hold off solids, fluid/electrolyte replacement, probiotics again, pepcid

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normally when a person goes so long without recurrent episodes (Thursday, Friday and Saturday), it means that the bowel is healing and ready for food but since your symptoms (diarrhea) recurred after you tried solids, then it seems to be still inflamed.

The burning in the esophagus is due to the irritation of the stomach lining (gastritis) causing a reflux of acid.

This means that you would again need to hold off solids for at least 24 hours, today, since there is still inflammation, stop all solids and use only liquids/fluids.
This means no crackers or bananas. Give the colon the day to recoup.

Use clear soups, sport drinks or oral rehydration drinks (to give both fluids and electrolytes).
Restart the probiotics if the course has been completed. Can use yogurts with probiotics

Use pepcid or zantac to help with the burning in the chest/esophagus.

After 24 hours, restart the biscuits, toast and bananas if there have been no further episodes, need at least 4 hours with no symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions