Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

178 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for degenerative changes in the knee joint

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11279 Questions

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a 63 year old female that had my right knee repaired about 20 years ago. Anterior cruciary ligament replace and miniscus repair. Had a MRI done since my knee kept "locking up" while driving and sleeping. MRI was transcribed as: Moderate tricompartmental osteoarthitis with relatively broad areas of grade 4 cartilage loss and assocaited subchondral bone marrow edema in the lateral compartment. Small areas of grade 4 chondromalacia medial femoral condyle. Predominantly grade 3 chondromalacia trochlea. Small knee joint effusion. Extruded lateral meniscus with maceration of the anterior horn and anterior body segment. No significatn recurrent tear of the medial meniscus. Shy of a knee replacement. Would knee arthroscopy benefit me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Arthroscopy will not help you.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
The findings of the MRI scan are suggestive of degenerative changes in the knee joint. These cannot be reversed with a knee arthroscopy.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
In case there is very less relief with medical treatment then knee replacement is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Hyaluronic acid

doctor1 MD

What is the solution Female, 28 Please I need a help as I had overdose Hyaluronidase and this has damaged my face , and my skin , I used to have full rounded face with flawless skin and I wanted to dissolve the filler in my nose but this has...

doctor1 MD

I had injection of Voluma about a month and a half ago under the eye area on the cheek bone. Last night I cried for the first time since having it done. This morning I woke up with a huge hard lump under the eye on the cheekbone. It hurts a little...

doctor1 MD

As the winter has finally come, I would like to know best body lotion and lip care products that I should use to keep my dry skin well moisturized.. Also, I want to know what ingredients I need to look for before buying a product such as body...