Suggest treatment for degenerative changes in the knee joint

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm a 63 year old female that had my right knee repaired about 20 years ago. Anterior cruciary ligament replace and miniscus repair. Had a MRI done since my knee kept "locking up" while driving and sleeping. MRI was transcribed as: Moderate tricompartmental osteoarthitis with relatively broad areas of grade 4 cartilage loss and assocaited subchondral bone marrow edema in the lateral compartment. Small areas of grade 4 chondromalacia medial femoral condyle. Predominantly grade 3 chondromalacia trochlea. Small knee joint effusion. Extruded lateral meniscus with maceration of the anterior horn and anterior body segment. No significatn recurrent tear of the medial meniscus. Shy of a knee replacement. Would knee arthroscopy benefit me?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Arthroscopy will not help you.

Detailed Answer:
The findings of the MRI scan are suggestive of degenerative changes in the knee joint. These cannot be reversed with a knee arthroscopy.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with your orthopaedician.
In case there is very less relief with medical treatment then knee replacement is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal