Suggest treatment for cough at night time

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My son is 4 years old and he has cough (mild) only at evening and at night he wakes up once (to throw out the mucus but nothing comes) just after he sleeps. This is there from past 3 weeks though there is no Wheezing, fever or visible mucus.

We are giving him Relent + as per the Doctors' advise. But the cough still presists.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation would help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting on HealthCareMagic. Your child is suffering from a respiratory tract infection which is most likely to be viral in nature. The respiratory secretions have a partly liquid and a partly gelatinous structure and it slides upwards and comes out of our larynx without our knowledge. But when this sol-gel ratio gets disturbed due to less water content, we call it cough and it has to be brought out forcibly, what we refer to as coughing out. When the cough becomes even drier, nothing comes out as is happening in case of your child.

Give the child steam inhalation thrice daily. In the form of vapour, water will reach deep into the lungs and help in diluting the cough which will gradually come out. No need to add anything to it. Continue Relent syrup for a few days. It is an antiallergic and is supposed to be helpful. Continue the other medicines as directed as the course of antibiotics when begun, need to be completed.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj