Suggest treatment for cough and tingling sensation in throat

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, every time I drink carbonated drinks (soft drink or water) it hurts/itch my throat. It is worse when it is cold. I have had this issue for many years and thought it was normal, but am realizing as I get older that is is not. I lately have also noticed that if I am trying to blow a balloon I can start coughing because of the tickling/itching feeling I get, the same thing can happen if talking very loud or when singing.

A doctor said it was because of drainage related to allergies, and I went to check for allergies but it came out with nothing.

Any ideas what this can be related to?

Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Throat irritation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

A few thoughts come to mind -

1. Even if you don't have allergies, it is still possible to have drainage down your throat from irritant rhinitis - such as from sensitivities to smoke, cigarettes, perfumes, laundry detergent scents, laundry dryer sheets. If you think this applies to you at all, you can try a 30 mg pseudo ephedrine to see if it prevents the problem.

2. If drinking cold things or blowing up a balloon causes "silent" acid reflux, this could be irritating your throat. Zantac is a safe acid reducer and you can try taking 150 mg twice a day for a few days and then seeing if the phenomenon happens.

3. It's possible you have a more sensitive throat so that carbonation and increased air pressure (balloon) irritate it.

I can't say for sure what the problem is but these are my thoughts. I hope this information helps.