• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cough and slight wheezing

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: for the last couple of months, I have had sort of a chesty cough. I can feel the mucus in my throat but I cannot spit it out since it is too thick. I do not cough all the time. I have undertaken a chest x-ray which came up clear and blood tests that were clear. I'm not sure why I have this cough, I have recently tried anti allergy tablets to expect some results. Also, using a steamer seems to clear my throat up. I have no other symptoms, however, two weeks ago I did get a popping in my ear and a pain. After some googling, I established it was the esphagues tube

Additionally, the doctor thought I was wheezing slightly and gave me a brown and blue inhaler, however, after a spirometry exam there was no difference so I stopped taking the inhaler. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In my opinion, the stickiness in the throat is due to posterior nasal discharge. It is causing cough also. It is probably due to some nasal pathology like a deviation in nasal septum. Even the ear pain is due to this only because of Eustachian tube blockage.
My advice is you should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and take a combination of levocetrizine and phenylepherine twice daily and xylometazoline nasal drops like otrivin thrice daily.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Follow up with the reports so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 48 minutes later

Thanks for the reply,

is this why I am unable to get rid of the mucus, I can feel it there but cannot spit it out. When I breathe in I can feel the air normally, I do not suffer from shortness of breath, I have had this since around feburary.Also, when I cough you can hear it like something is stuck in my chest, any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
Hi
yes the cause is some nasal pathology only. You should get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done and send me the pictures so that I can suggest you accordingly.
Follow the prescription, you will definitely be benefited.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist