Suggest treatment for costochondritus and chest conestion

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: I was recently diagnosed with costochondritus and now have chest congestion. I was a heavy smoker for about 8 years and cancer runs in my family should I be concerned that I may have lung cancer
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Costochondritis is affection of the costal cartilage area of the ribs and is a local condition.
Chest congestion can be due to flu, lower respiratory tract infection and of course smoking will enhance any chest problem.

You should certainly be concerned if there is a history of lung cancer in the family and you are a smoker.

But lung cancers are not known to occur at your tender age of 21 ( which you have mentioned).

Eventually, you have to stop smoking.
Consult a Physician as clinical ( Physical ) examination by a Physician is very important. On examination he will advise you the medicines as per requirements ans also may advise you the investigations.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari