Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for costochondritus and chest conestion

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 15997 Questions
I was recently diagnosed with costochondritus and now have chest congestion. I was a heavy smoker for about 8 years and cancer runs in my family should I be concerned that I may have lung cancer
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be concerned.

Detailed Answer:
Costochondritis is affection of the costal cartilage area of the ribs and is a local condition.
Chest congestion can be due to flu, lower respiratory tract infection and of course smoking will enhance any chest problem.

You should certainly be concerned if there is a history of lung cancer in the family and you are a smoker.

But lung cancers are not known to occur at your tender age of 21 ( which you have mentioned).

Eventually, you have to stop smoking.
Consult a Physician as clinical ( Physical ) examination by a Physician is very important. On examination he will advise you the medicines as per requirements ans also may advise you the investigations.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor