question-icon

Suggest treatment for constant swelling of the vocal cords

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015
Question: Hello....I was diagnosed with swollen vocal chords....4 weeks ago and told to have total voice rest. I checked in with the doctor again after 4 weeks and the photo they took showed the vocal chords ok but my throat still swollen . The doctor said to start making life syle changes - food etc....to avoid the possibility of acid reflux making my throat sore. I am in China...and the medical scene here is not that great. What should I do now...? wait and see if it improves after a week or so of life style chafes or seek out a western doctor and get more quality consultation ...?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic therapy with general care would help

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Throat infection if not cleared by itself requires 7 days antibiotic therapy along with general care. If i were your treating doctor then i would have advised following things:

- I would start you on amoxicilin/clavulanic acid 625mg thrice a day for 7 days. (It is a prescription medicine so you need to visit nearest doctor to get it)
- Take acetaminophen for pain
- Take hot water in a cup, add 1 table spoon salt in it. Perform gargles (mouth wash) with
it three times a day for at least 3 days. It will give soothing effect.
- take 30-45mins walk/exercise daily in the evening. It will make you fresh, healthy and is good for digestion.
- Don't lie down immediately after taking meal

AVOID:
> Chilled water
> Spicy food
> fatty & oily food.
> heavy meals at night
> carbonated & caffeine drinks
> chocolates

Hopefully you will see improvement in 2-3 days. IF condition remains same then you need to visit hospital and get an appointment for a "Consultant ENT Specialist".

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf