Suggest treatment for compound fracture on the leg

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: semi truck accident, . is it possible to get a compound fracture a few days after an accident just bending over to pick up a piece of paper, the adjuster on the other side claims it is old age. i was healthy and strong before the accident. i was 60 at the time. thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Upload Xray

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually fractures occur due to the trauma at the same time but when they do happen with trivial or absent trauma, they are called Pathological fractures.

In your case it's unlikely if a Pathological fracture but you may be suffering from the pain and swelling which tends to take a few days to develop.

Do upload the Xray to be sure.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 24 minutes later
couldn't it have been weakend by the semi hitting me. my feet went into the floor board, the seat broke. i was at a stop he hit me at 45mph. therefore a few days later i moved just right to fracture it?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually traumatic fractures occur at the time of trauma

Detailed Answer:
I understand your situation and concern but usually traumatic fractures don't brown that way. If it has taken a few days to develop, then it mostly is don't oedema.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D