What is the prognosis for broken tibia and fibia bone post treatment?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Hi there,
I recently met with an accident in which i broke my tibia and fibia bone, it was a compound fracture so a titanium rod has been inserted. Its been 25+ days since the surgery and im able to walk with walker. The doctor has told me to only use the fractured foot's tip while walking. Im taking a proper diet of nonveg, vegetables along with extra calcium tablets (SETFRAC) and alfala (AMWAY ) tablets, fish cod liver oil tabs. How much more time it will take for me to be able to walk without any support? Also when can i get back to bike riding? PS: I forgot to mention that i do exercise of joint movements everyday as suggested by my doctor. I have my college starting from March and i have to get back to XXXXXXX before February End.
ANY SUGGESTIONS WHICH MAY HELP IN FASTER RECOVERY? ANY MEDICINE WHICH MAY HELP IN RECOVERING FASTER?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
8-10 weeks needed for recovery.

Detailed Answer:
After a compound fracture of tibia which has been fixed with titanium rod it takes 8-10 weeks to heal properly. You will be able to walk normally and ride a bike by the end of January.
You are having a good diet and supplements for proper healing. You can also add a multivitamin tablet daily for proper micronutrients that are needed for bone formation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D