Suggest treatment for compound fracture in the lower leg

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 5 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi there, my mum was in a fatal accident, she was a pedestrian and was hit by a car. She had a compound fracture of the tib & fib with degloving and shin loss. It was a transverse fracture and the wound was over anteromedial surface. I just wondered if you can tell from the information I have given you if this injury would be due to a bumper impact or a run over/drag. Is the anteromedial surface at the front of the leg? and does that me she was hit from the front of the leg or another direction?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is mostly a bumper injury. Impact direction depends on the angulation

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

This injury soars to be a bumper injury because the fracture pattern is transverse. If it was a run over injury then it would be a comminuted fracture.

The direction of impact depends on the angulation of the fracture fragments. If you could post an Xray I can comment on the same.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 25 minutes later
Thanks very much for confirming that. I have some medical notes but not xrays unfortunately. Can I send you the notes, it's only a page? How can I upload it

I have uploaded the medical docs, can you tell me anything from the direction she was hit? Also, I didn't realise you can get a degloving injury from blunt force, I thought it was only from being dragged or run over. Many thanks for your information
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be combination of bumper and drag injury

Detailed Answer:
It is mentioned in the report that they're was only a small wound but due to tight compartments, a fasciotomy was done to release the pressure.

It could be a combination of bumper and drag injury.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T