Suggest treatment for colic

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 45 days old. SHE HAS BEEN CRYING FREQUENTLY FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS. SPECIALLY BEFORE SLEEPING. SHE IS WELL FED WITH BREAST MILK THEN ALSO SHE CRIES. WHAT COULD BE THE REASON. SHE IS MY FIRST CHILD. AT PRESENT SHE IS TAKING
CAVIT SYRUP,
A-Z MULTIVITAMIN DROPS AND
VITANOVA D3 DROPS..
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry if there is no other significant abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have gone through the query and do understand your concern.
I won't get worried if baby is feeding well, passing urine/stool, there is no vomiting, abdominal distension and other wise baby is active and playful.
Excessive crying in a baby not explained by other symptoms can be due to abdominal colic.
I would like to give colicaid drops which helps in relieving abdominal colic and also soothes the baby.
The usual dose for this age is 10 drops three times a day.
Watch closely and if you notice any significant abnormality please consult your pediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 19 minutes later
She passes stool after an interval of 2 or 3 days. Is it ok for my daughter?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's normal for this age

Detailed Answer:
Passing stool once in 3-5 days or 7-8 times per day is normal in this age unless it is too hard,mixed with blood or associated with vomiting or abdominal fullness.
I would like to know if the thyroid test has been done or not as hypothyroidism is a common cause of infrequent stool.

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology