Suggest treatment for cold and sinus infection

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am currently on an airplane. Went into a walk in clinic a few days ago due to sinus issues and a cold. the doctor told me I had just a virus but now my forehead is in so much pain and we have another 1 hr and 30 min left on the plane. Should I go into see a doctor again? Maybe it has turned into something requiring medicine.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
due to effect on sinuses

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The change in air pressure on the plane would affect the sinuses worsening the congestion that can occur with a cough/cold, in this cases the frontal sinuses are involved, causing the headache to worsen.

It is quite possible that when you arrive the pain would slowly decrease but you may need to consider the use of a decongestant/ anti histamine oral combination.

A topical decongestant such otrivine even if you do not have bad nasal symptoms, may also be helpful.

An anti inflammatory pain killer such as naproxen, cataflam or ibuprofen, would be helpful.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions