Suggest treatment for clitoris itching

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: after sex a few days ago my clitoris has been itchy and i think i have made it raw by scratching what does it mean?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may have a yeast infection or just a healing abrasipn

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

Itching around the clitoris has two main causes. You can get a yeast infection of the foreskin of your clitoris which looks like white stuff if you pull the hood back. Your clitoris is also usually bright red and sensitive. You can treat this with any cream designed to treat yeast infections; buy a 7 day cream and just apply it topically to your clitoris twice a day and the itching should improve in a few days.

Secondly, if you had a lot of friction to your clitoris during sex, the healing process of your skin can feel itchy. This causes you to scratch and that makes the itching worse. This can be be treated with 1% hydrocortisone cream and the itching should resolve in a few days.

The most important thing is to stop scratching... that creates a cycle of healing tissue that keeps itching. Once you apply either or both of these creams you will feel
a slight burning sensation of your skin is raw, that will actually help the itching too.

I also recommend you rinse well with water (no soap) around the area well when you bathe. Do not use heavily fragranced bath products as they can irritate the skin.

I hope I have answered your question adequately and that my advice was helpful. If you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar