Suggest treatment for cirrhosis of liver and pleural effusion

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: A 51 year male patient, admitted with c/o Cirrhosis of Liver, Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis, Pleural Effusion Left Side. patient is known alcoholic.

kindly confirm whether bacterial peritonitis and pleural effusion is complication of cirrhosis of liver/ alcoholism.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Send your reports to " YYYY@YYYY "

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. I am not able view your report as it is in pdf format. Could you please send it to " YYYY@YYYY " and subject it to Dr. Kampana.

Looking forward for your reply.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 18 hours later
i have send you attachment on said mail ID, kindly confirm
Answered by Dr. Kampana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is a complication of liver cirrhosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Yes, it is a complication of liver cirrhosis.

Liver cirrhosis leads to loss of liver functions which causes complications such as Bleeding, Fluid Retention, Jaundice, Itching, Gallstones, etc.

Spontaneous bacterial peritonitis primarily occurs in patients with advanced cirrhosis which can be prevented by prophylactic antibiotics.

The above two complications are due to fluid overload which can be prevented by fluid and salt restriction and Diuretics.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 5 hours later
dear madam,

agreed with your reply,

kindly confirm whether liver cirrhosis is caused in case of reformed alcoholic patient
Answered by Dr. Kampana 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can and mostly due to previous alcohol use and progressing age.

Detailed Answer:

Yes, liver cirrhosis can occur in a reformed alcoholic patient because abstinence of alcohol does not progress the disease, but the damage already done to the liver by alcohol use previously and progressing age will decrease the liver functions now.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,