Suggest treatment for chronic plaque psoriasis

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had Chronic Plaque psoriasis since 2007, but wasn't diagnosed until 2012. When it started it was only on my finger tips. In 2014 it left my hands and went to the bottom of my feet. A week ago it returned to the palms of my hands.
I had a kenelog injection and my feet and hands cleared up for 6 weeks, but my doc won't give it to me again.
QUESTION: What can I do to get this under control? I can barely walk, and I need my hands for work.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple treatment modalities available.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.
* The First-line therapy includes traditional topical therapies - eg, corticosteroids, vitamin D analogues, dithranol and tar preparations. You would have to ask your doctor to prescribe the same.
* Second-line therapy which includes phototherapy, broad-band or narrow-band ultraviolet B light, with or without supervised application of complex topical therapies such as dithranol in Lassar's paste or crude coal tar and photochemotherapy, psoralens in combination with UVA irradiation (PUVA), and non-biological systemic agents such as ciclosporin, methotrexate and acitretin. Once again, these should not be administered without the supervision and guidance of your dermatologist.
* Third-line therapy which refers to systemic biological therapies that use molecules designed to block specific molecular steps important in the development of psoriasis, such as the TNF antagonists adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab, and ustekinumab, anti-IL12-23 monoclonal antibody. Humira (adalimumab) is one such monoclonal antibody that you have been receiving formerly. These are usually tried only after trying the initial two.

You need to discuss the treatment options with your treating dermatologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj