Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
146 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for chronic plaque psoriasis

Answered by
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1954

Answered : 4372 Questions

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had Chronic Plaque psoriasis since 2007, but wasn't diagnosed until 2012. When it started it was only on my finger tips. In 2014 it left my hands and went to the bottom of my feet. A week ago it returned to the palms of my hands.
I had a kenelog injection and my feet and hands cleared up for 6 weeks, but my doc won't give it to me again.
QUESTION: What can I do to get this under control? I can barely walk, and I need my hands for work.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple treatment modalities available.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.
* The First-line therapy includes traditional topical therapies - eg, corticosteroids, vitamin D analogues, dithranol and tar preparations. You would have to ask your doctor to prescribe the same.
* Second-line therapy which includes phototherapy, broad-band or narrow-band ultraviolet B light, with or without supervised application of complex topical therapies such as dithranol in Lassar's paste or crude coal tar and photochemotherapy, psoralens in combination with UVA irradiation (PUVA), and non-biological systemic agents such as ciclosporin, methotrexate and acitretin. Once again, these should not be administered without the supervision and guidance of your dermatologist.
* Third-line therapy which refers to systemic biological therapies that use molecules designed to block specific molecular steps important in the development of psoriasis, such as the TNF antagonists adalimumab, etanercept and infliximab, and ustekinumab, anti-IL12-23 monoclonal antibody. Humira (adalimumab) is one such monoclonal antibody that you have been receiving formerly. These are usually tried only after trying the initial two.

You need to discuss the treatment options with your treating dermatologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Plaque psoriasis

doctor1 MD

Good Evening. Im suffering from what began as excessive facial hair growth since July 2013. It was very mild and not problematic initially. However...

doctor1 MD

Hi.My doctor has advised to take Folitrax 2.5 mg for Psoriasis treatment. She is 72 year old. Is it advised to have this medicine. Please advise.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am suffering from plaque psoriasis since many years What is best treatment or any best doctor is there by me XXXXXXX , CA Thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi, l had skin itching on left leg since last 5 years ... Recently I came to know it's related to psoriasis ... I am worrying on this please...

doctor1 MD

i am suffering from plaque psoriasis from 15 years.i am using folitrax from 3 yrs.till now i have used 640 mg of much folitrax to be...

doctor1 MD

1)     I am suffering by Plaque Psoriasis from 20 years. I used various kind of ointment but it was not cured. Ultimately since last 5 years...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my name is Tony I'm asking in regards to my 79 yr old mother..hs high blood pressure being treatrd with diovan /hctz and is experiencing...