Suggest treatment for chronic pain in the legs

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My grandson has had pain in his legs for over a year. Took him to ped. Ortho. And he didn't touch legs, just watched him walk said nothing wrong. Only said feet pronated. Any suggestions. Thank you for any help you could offer.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Physiological vs Pathological

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Usually problems with the arch of the foot can lead to pronation of the foot. Pronation is when the ankle 'rolls inwards'. There is also associated flat foot.

This can be physiological upto 7 years of age, and if it persists beyond this age, it becomes pathological.

I would recommend you consult an Orthotic specialist for a brace for the foot to bring it back to normal position.

Just wait and watch for the time being. If the deformity is corrected then fine. Otherwise, soft tissue surgery may be needed to correct the ligament and tendon forces.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee