Suggest treatment for chronic diarrhea

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had sporadic problems with diarrhea for years. About two months ago, I had an episode of food poisoning from eating contaminated mixed nuts. Since then, I have had frequent, repeated bouts of explosive diarrhea. I also feel like my immune system is run down. I currently have a second cold since the food poisoning episode. I eat a very healthy diet, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables; I get a lot of exercise, as a professional horse trainer, and am not overweight. What can I do to get rid of the diarrhea and build up my immune system?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to have work up for chronic diarrhea, colonoscopy and stool RE

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, you need to have work up for causes of chronic diarrhea and to start with stool routine examination, microscopy and cultures with clostridium Difficile serology would be right approach to start with.

Basic blood work up alongwith autoimmune causes specially with blood counts, and ESR as well as CRP should also be done. Thyroid profile, sugar levels and other endocrine causes which may present with such symptoms like carcinoid should also be considered.

Sometimes the fruits and vegetables that you have mentioned, their seeds trigger the bowel movements as usually these can act as gastric irritants. Though it's late presentation for coeliac disease still lactulose and gluten allergies need to be worked up.

If the symptoms persist, colonoscopy may also be considered late during the work up if non invasive methods fail to narrow down the cause. Using probiotics, anti motility agents like drotaverine or loperamide alongwith antibiotics like metronidazole may be needed.

Meanhwile keep replacing the lost water and electrolytes with Oral rehydration salts alongwith soft diets. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin