Suggest treatment for chronic dandruff issues

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 5 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've had chronic dandruff problems where it seems shampoo doesn't work is and isn't enough. I tried many brands such as head & shoulders to menthol shampoos and even tea tree. I don't take any current medications except for tar shampoo and head & shoulders combined. This being after I went to a clinic months before and they prescribed me this anti-fungal 30 pills I must take daily. I finished taking that medicine months ago as it was a no refill. As of now my dandruff isn't as bad as it was before the medication, but since I stopped taking it has gotten worse and is still persisting even with the shampoos. I had a visit to a doctor just last week and he give me a list of prescription medicine and one included an anti fungal medicine for ringworm called griseofulvin microsize. I haven't gotten the medicine yet but I would like to know and verify on what I should do with this issue as it has become very difficult removing from my scalp.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of dandruff

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.
I would recommend you to use a salicylic acid and ketoconazole combined shampoo twice weekly and apply a lotion containing combination of steroid antifungal like clotrimazole and beclomethasone lotion on the affected areas of the scalp twice daily for 3-4 weeks.

Also take oral antifungal medicines like capsule itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 2-3 weeks.
Once the dandruff improves you can stop the lotion and the capsules but need to continue with the shampoo.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 days later
I checked with my doctor and he also believes it's due to fungal but he gave me a different medicine named Griseofulvin Microsize tablet 500 milligrams one tablet after a meal orally for once a day.

He also gave me a lotion called Triamcinolone Acetonide Lotion 0.1% he said to massage into my scalp with my finger of affected area, externally, twice a day for 30 days, 130 Millimeter.

Based on what the doctor gave me, should that work instead along with the shampoo treatment you mentioned?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medicines prescribed to you are fine, start with them

Detailed Answer:
The medicines the doctor has prescribed to you are fine.
You can start with them.
This should resolve your problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana