• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cholesteatoma

Posted on Mon, 16 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr. Bhatti,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Do you have any questions
that might be appropriate
for me to ask my ENT when
I go for microsuction
cleaning in two weeks.
This would be in reference
to the Cholesteatoma
management and possible
progression, etc.
Many thanks!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are a number of questions that you can ask.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Ask for a confirmation if you have a dry left ear perforation and any evidence of a cholesteatoma.

2. Request for endoscopic ear drum images or at least to see the perforation. Ideally there are differences in a recent traumatic suction (such as irregular edges, position) and a long standing perforation (smooth and round/oval/ kidney shaped). Traumatic perforations are also likely to heal.

3. Based on the previous discussion, you can ask a number of questions such as the need for a repeat audiogram, point out that the tuning fork tests do not match the hearing loss mentioned in your previous audiogram.

4. You should request for an MRI for Cholesteatoma with an HRCT Temporal Bones as it is the most accurate non-invasive method to settle this issue.

5. Ask if there is any doubt as to the extent of the cholesteatoma in the Left ear as this will help decide the management (conservative vs surgical).

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist