• question-icon

Suggest treatment for childhood trauma and PTSD

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: What are the most effective treatment modalities for people with chronic ptsd and sustained trauma in childhood?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CBT is most effective mode of treatment for PTSD and childhood trauma

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks again for using Healthcaremagic.

The most effective treatment for childhood trauma and PTSD is use of a special form of therapy which is known as cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). This form of therapy deals with problem now and here rather than going in details of experience. Here the thinking pattern of sufferer is challenged and a new form of thinking is replaces the ill pattern of thinking. In addition to CBT the therapist helps the victim to reexperience the trauma and provides support and safely so there is proper catharsis of negative energy of PTSD.

Some of the centers offer EMDR form of psychotherapy for treatment of PTSD which holds special significance in management of sustained childhood trauma and PTSD. However I do not support this therapy as mode of treatment in your case as I feel CBT have more merits than EMDR form of therapy.

I hope this answers you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
In future, if you wish to ask any more questions, you can use the below-mentioned link to contact me.

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist