question-icon

Suggest treatment for chest congestion while on NyQuil and DayQuil

Posted on Wed, 7 Jun 2017
Question: Saturday I very quickly became congested in my chest with a deep cough - no runny nose or fever. It has continued. A little sinus drainage but mostly still hurts to cough. Thought it was allergies. I have been taking dayquil and nightquil. I am under a great deal of stress this week at work. Busiest week of my year. Can I take a prescribed xanax with these over the counter meds. Should I be taking someting else. I was awake most of last night.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Both cause drowsiness

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Dayquil does not cause drowsiness. Nyquil can cause drowsiness.

You were awake most of last night due to anxiety and you think you require xanax to sleep.

I suggest that whenever you want to take xanax, that night take dayquil instead of nyquil for cough relief.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj