Suggest treatment for changing position of stomach in a person with hiatal hernia

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I am a 97yr old female. With full mental capacity. I have been diagnosed with nearly full rotation of the stomach due to a very large hiatal hernia.
This diagnosis was made after an MRI about 7 months ago ordered by my gastroenterologist. Surgery at my age is not recommended. 3 years ago I had thyroid cancer surgery. Before that I was a healthy active 94 yr old driving, lunching with friends, dancing, theatre-going single female enjoying my life. I weighed 126 pounds. Since then I have been hospitised many times for rrecuring UTI's betting very strong antibiotics. I am allergic to most antibiotics. My gastro doc didn't help with diet. I am keeping steady at 84 pounds. I have a 24 hour caregiver (thanks to my long term care insurance). I decided on my own to have a liquid diet. Cereal for breakfast, soup made with chicken, rice or noodles or potatoes adding four or five vegetables including XXXXXXX or spinach, nnd blended in the Magic Bullet. For dinner I use Boost with a banana, several fruiits and yogurt ice cream. I try to drink as much water as possible but truthfully my capacity for water is negligible. I have bowel movements about 3 times a week. I take a thyroid pill, protonics in the morning, XXXXXXX pep and folic acid with lunch, and hyoscyamine occasionally even though it doesn't relieve the occasion stomach ache.
I have only one kidney and a cyst on my liver. Both feet are dropped, but I walk with a walker.I am weak. But despite all the negativity I want to live!!! Incidentally, my gastro doctor says the position of my stomach can change back or forth from day to day so thinks another MRI would be useless.
I have lots of gas discomfort.! I also take a little gaviscon from time to time. I had an endoscopy about 2 years ago. At the time the outcome was just a l are hiatal hernia. inoperable due to my age.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take yogurt. Exercise regularly. Take fiber supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic. Let me assure you that I have the necessary skills and hence am answering your question. Let me begin by congratulating you on your positive attitude towards life.

Hiatal hernia is caused due to weakness of the muscles of the diaphragm that form the boundary or hiatus through which the food pipe enters the abdomen. The stomach has a propensity to move up and down through this hole and hence the condition is frequently associated with gastroesophageal reflux which is responsible for the 'gas related discomfort' that you are facing. The stomach shape and position may vary from time to time and with the condition already detected, further MRI is indeed meaningless. Gaviscon may be taken but medicines would not provide much relief to you.

There are a few things that can be helpful in such a situation.
* Take plenty of yogurt. It contains plenty of beneficial bacteria. They will help in balancing the gut flora which should help.
* Stay relaxed. Get a good night's sleep. Exercise regularly.
* Take fiber supplements and plenty of green leafy vegetables. They will enhance the gastric clearing and would be helpful.

The other things that you are doing, are fine to be continued.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician