• question-icon

Suggest treatment for canker sores

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi..I've had a fever on and off for 2 days..my wisdom tooth is impacted and got infected..my tonsils have also swollen up as well as my gums and papillae on on my tongue..I see a white coating towards the back of my tonsils and the papillae are reddened with white spots..I also have 3-4 canker sores inside my bottom lip..is this all related? What could be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You will need antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Everything may be related to your impacted and infected wisdom tooth , since this is a focus of infection , which is spreading to your tonsils also.

The canker sores may be due to the infection or the physical stress that you are experiencing and will subside once the infection is cured.

The best thing to do , would be to meet your dentist , she will start you on a course of antibiotics and mouth gargles , once the infection subsides , the teeth can be removed.

Please do not delay as dental infections are notorious for spreading fast , so time is precious and you must meet your dentist as soon as possible.

For the time being i would like you to start gargling with warm salt water 2-3 times a day, it will give relief.

Take care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist