Suggest treatment for build up of ear wax and sinus issues

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 1 Feb 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: It feels like I have water in my ear, when I talk, eat or move my mouth I hear a cracking sound. I have had sinus problems and have pressure on top of one of my top tooth when I press on it. No pain. Does ear wax build up cause this?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can contribute, should also consider eustachian tube dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Excess wax build up can cause hearing loss, feeling of fullness in the ear, tinnitus (abnormal noises in the ear such as buzzing, ringing etc), hearing loss, ear pain.

It is possible that it may be contributing to some of your symptoms, this can be determined by a check of your ears by your doctor. Topical ear drops or ear syringing can help with excess wax.
Since you have sinusitis, it is also possible that the symptoms may be due to eustachian tube dysfunction.

The eustachian tube is a passage in the ear that plays different roles including regulating the pressure in the middle ear.

In persons with sinus disease, it may not work as it should temporarily. This can also happen with colds or with air travel.

The use of decongestants (both oral and topical ) , along with antihistamines would help
In addition, a topical steroid nasal spray eg nasonex, nasocort, rhinocort, flonase

It is possible that you may already be using these because of your sinus disease.

If this is the case, then the option may be to continue the medications and monitor for changes.
In most persons, it resolves on its own, though this may sometimes take a few weeks in some cases.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions